Posted by in ZanimljivostiE on 22.06.2017 0 comments

Chinchilla who survived an electric shock!

Species: Chinchilla

Gender: Male

Age: 4 months

Name: Chucky

It was 23/06/2009 when chinchilla Chucky was brought to our clinic. Two days earlier it suffered electric shock biting electric cables. The owners have found it behind the fridge with the following symptoms: abnormally twitching body, tossing aside, and a large wound to the lips on the left.

Chinchilla arrived in critical condition, disoriented and dehydrated, with an infected wound of the left side of upper and lower lips. It could not stand, and its right front leg was completely numb and it could not bend.

After infusion, antibiotics therapy, tranquilizers and local treatment of wounds, Chucky was better the very next day.

This case is a pure example of what rodent owners often forget: Under no circumstances rodents should not be let out of the cages without strict control of the owner! Rodents as species have a natural propensity for biting various objects and very often electric cables become their target.

You could say this time „Chucky is lucky“ but unfortunately fatal outcomes are more common.